Please note that the Windblown trail network is only accessible to those who are renting shelters. Only the Wapack Trail is open to the public. Thank you for your cooperation.
Open Slope Shelter .9 miles 18-25 min.
Valley View Shelter 1.4 miles 20-30 min.
East Glade Shelter 1.5 miles 30-40 min.
Mountain Top Shelter 1.9 miles 40-50 min.
1. Start at the Wapack Trail Information Kiosk. Follow the RED SIGNS that say “Shelters↑”. Proceed down the Wapack Trail for about half a mile until you reach a turn that leads into the Windblown trail network. You will see a “Shelters↑” sign.
2. TURN LEFT down Old Logging Road and continue until you come to a large intersection of trails. Continue straight across and follow the “Shelters↑” sign.
3. Continue straight until you reach the next trail intersection. Go straight across the dirt road and follow the “Shelters←” sign. In 200 feet you will see a sign to go right for the Open Slope Shelter.
4. Then you will pass the small Wildlife Pond on the left. Continue straight until you will reach Porcupine Hollow. Follow the “Shelters↑” sign right after the bench and continue straight.
5. At 1.4 miles you will arrive at the David Stephenson Memorial Bridge. This is where the trail junction for three shelters is located (see map). You will see the Valley View Shelter off to the left.
FOR EAST GLADE AND MOUNTAIN TOP SHELTER CONTINUE READING
6. For East Glade Shelter and Mountain Top Shelter TURN RIGHT by the sign located near the David Stephenson Memorial Bridge and head up the steep, narrow trail.
7. Continue up the trail until you reach a wide trail intersection. Bear left up the hill and follow the sign that reads “Barrett Mt”. East Glade Shelter is located about 200 feet above this sign.
FOR MOUNTAIN TOP SHELTER CONTINUE READING
8. For Mountain Top Shelter locate the Barrett’s Backbone sign behind the East Glade Shelter. Follow the trail until you reach a trail junction. At the “Mt. Top →” sign TURN RIGHT and follow the trail to the opening of a small clearing. At around 1.9 miles Mountain Top Shelter will be located to the right.
Please note that most of the trail name signs that correspond with former ski center map have been removed. Follow highlighted route to avoid getting lost.
Copyright © 2021 Windblown Camping - All Rights Reserved.